1. Relate Piscine’s nickname, Pi, to elements of the story and/or themes of the novel.
2. What role does Richard Parker play in the story?
3. How does Father’s lesson about the nature of animals in Chapter 8 figure in to the rest of the story?
4. How is the distinction made between religious beliefs and faith in the story?
5. What does Pi say about fear? Is he able to defeat his own fear?
6. Describe how the “Bank of Karma” works.
7. At what point in the story did you realize that Richard Parker was a tiger? What is the significance of his human name?
8. How might the perceptions of Life of Pi differ for readers of different religions?
9. Whose voice do you hear telling the story? Why is this significant?
10. Does this story have the “happy ending” promised in Chapter 36?
11. Which of Pi’s stories do you believe? Why?
Cite this page:
Cassie, Donna L.. "TheBestNotes on Life of Pi".
varLocale = SetLocale(2057)
file = Request.ServerVariables("PATH_TRANSLATED")
Set fs = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set f = fs.GetFile(file)
LastModified = f.datelastmodified
response.write FormatDateTime(LastModified, 1)
Set f = Nothing
Set fs = Nothing