Study Guide: Wide Sargasso Sea by Jane Rhys - Free BookNotes|
WIDE SARGASSO SEA: FREE STUDY GUIDE / BOOK SUMMARY
1. Using adjectives that Antoinette’s husband used when referring
to the servants, explain how these words illustrate his attitudes and
2. What animal signified betrayal? Describe the scenes where
it appeared and identify the betrayers and the betrayed.
3. Annette wanted to leave Jamaica. Christophine advised Antoinette to leave Jamaica. Why was leaving Jamaica a solution to the Cosway women’s problems?
4. Describe the parent/child relationships in Wide Sargasso
5. In your opinion, did Antoinette’s husband cause Antoinette to go mad or did he merely speed up the process? Use examples from the novel to support your answer.
6. Contrast Antoinette’s and her husband’s perceptions of nature.
How do these differences account for their actions?
7. What do you think was Rhys’ motivation for giving the madwoman in the attic a voice?
8. Why did Rhys deny Antoinette’s husband a name?
Copyright ©2003 TheBestNotes.com. All Rights Reserved.
Distribution without the written consent of TheBestNotes.com is strictly prohibited.
All Content Copyright©TheBestNotes. All Rights Reserved.
No further distribution without written consent.
266 Users Online | This page has been viewed 12161 times
This page was last updated on 5/15/2008 5:22:03 PM
Cite this page:
Cassie, D. L.. "TheBestNotes on Wide Sargasso Sea".
. 15 May 2008