Free Study Guide: Sula by Toni Morrison: Chapter Summary|
FREE STUDY GUIDE: SULA BY TONI MORRISON
1. What is Shadrack’s justification for National Suicide Day?
2. Compare and contrast Shadrack and Plum as post-war American
3. Discuss Helene (Nel’s mother) and her motivations for moving
to Medallion. What impact does the trip back to New Orleans have on her?
4. Compare and contrast Sula and Nell and then fully describe
the relationship between them.
5. List at least four places where grief is seen in the novel,
explaining what has caused the grief. Compare and contrast the way that
the grief is expressed by the different characters.
6. Morrison uses many repeated images and symbols in the novel.
Explain at least five of them and their significance in terms of, character,
plot, or theme.
7. How does Morrison bridge the gap and hold the novel together
between Part One and Part Two, which are separated in time by ten years?
8. Discuss the significance of names in the novel. (Some examples:
Nel Wright, Eva and Sula Peace, Jude)
9. Fire is a repeated image in the novel. Discuss where it is
seen and its importance to the meaning of the novel.
10. What all do you think happens to Sula between Part One and
Part Two? Is it important to the novel? Why or why not?
11. What are the major and minor themes of the novel?
12. Explain why the novel is a tragedy.
Copyright ©2006 TheBestNotes.com.
TheBestNotes.com. All Rights Reserved.
Distribution without the written consent of TheBestNotes.com is strictly prohibited.
All Content Copyright©TheBestNotes. All Rights Reserved.
No further distribution without written consent.
180 Users Online | This page has been viewed 3525 times
This page was last updated on 5/9/2017 9:51:02 AM
Cite this page:
TheBestNotes.com Staff. "TheBestNotes on Sula".
. 09 May 2017