Free Study Guide for Our Town by Thornton Wilder-Book Summary |
1. Explain the ways in which the play violates traditional theatrical conventions?
2. Describe the Stage Manager and how Wilder uses him in the play. Why does he become a unifying element?
3. Compare and contrast Editor Webb and Doc Gibbs. What purposes do they serve in the play?
4. Compare and contrast Mrs. Webb and Mrs. Gibbs. What purposes do they serve in the play?
5. Compare and contrast the milkman (Howie Newsome) and the paperboy (Joe Crowell.) What purposes do they serve in the play?
6. Who is the main character
of the play and why is she/he considered the main character?
7. Describe how Emily and George become a couple.
8. What affect does the absence of scenery and props have on the play?
9. What is the main theme of the play and how is it developed?
10. Wilder uses flashbacks and flashforwards in the play. List at least two of each and explain if you think they are effective in the play.
11. How does Wilder give the play universal appeal?
12. Why does the play end as a tragedy?
TheBestNotes.com. All Rights Reserved.
Distribution without the written consent of TheBestNotes.com is strictly prohibited.
All Content Copyright©TheBestNotes. All Rights Reserved.
No further distribution without written consent.
17381 Users Online | This page has been viewed 4400 times
This page was last updated on 5/9/2017 9:50:48 AM
Cite this page:
TheBestNotes.com Staff. "TheBestNotes on Our Town".
. 09 May 2017