Free Study Guide: Little Women by Louisa May Alcott|
LITTLE WOMEN: ONLINE STUDY GUIDE / CRITICISM
1. Why does Jo drop her writing after she marries Professor Bhaer?(
Simply being busy with the boy’s home is probably not the only reason.)
2. Characterize each sister at the beginning and at the end of
the story. What were the major events that effected the changes in each?
3. The novel has several frame stories or "plots within
a plot." Discuss two or three of these, and mention the similarities
and differences among them.
4. Why doesn’t the narrator give Mr. March a more active role
in the family once he is home? He is certainly capable of working once
he regains his health.
5. Jo’s "castle" includes a stable full of Arabian
steeds and a magic ink stand. As Jo is usually very practical about things,
why is her dream life one of fantasy?
6. How is the spirit of female independence both promoted and
subdued in the novel?
7. How typical is the role of Mr. March when he is compared with
other males in the story?
8. Is the narrator successful in her attempts to denigrate the
lifestyles of the wealthy?
9. Does the angelic character of Beth "work"?
10. What is ironic about Jo’s inheritance of Plumfield?
Copyright ©2003 TheBestNotes.com. All Rights Reserved.
Distribution without the written consent of TheBestNotes.com is strictly prohibited.
All Content Copyright©TheBestNotes. All Rights Reserved.
No further distribution without written consent.
89 Users Online | This page has been viewed 4813 times
This page was last updated on 5/9/2017 8:50:38 AM
Cite this page:
Ruff, Dr. Karen S C. "TheBestNotes on Little Women".
. 09 May 2017