Study Guide for Kindred by Octavia E. Butler Analysis Synopsis|
Downloadable / Printable Version
STUDY GUIDE FOR KINDRED BY OCTAVIA E. BUTLER
7. Nigel wanted to escape slavery, but accepted it when
a. Sarah was allowed to live in his home.
b. Carrie gave birth to his sons.
c. Alice was given to him as his wife.
8. Alice was a freeborn women, but was enslaved, because
a. she wouldn’t go to bed with Rufus.
b. she tried to help a slave escape.
c. she talked back to Tom Weylin.
9. Alice bore four children to Rufus, but
a. two died.
b. three died.
c. they all died.
10. When Rufus was a child, he called Dana to him twice,
a. once for nearly choking to death and another for a broken leg.
b. once for nearly drowning and the other for a broken arm.
c. once for nearly drowning and the other for a broken leg.
11. Dana has to save Rufus during the storm, because
a. he’s drunk and drowning in a storm puddle.
b. he’s drunk and choking on his own vomit.
c. he’s drunk and was beaten by white men who stole his money.
12. Ironically, Dana is not called back the final time to save Rufus,
a. try to save Alice who has cut her wrists.
b. to try to save Sarah who has tried to kill Tom Weylin.
c. to try to save Alice who has hung herself.
13. The reason why Alice had tried to hurt herself was because
a. Rufus had sold her children down the river.
b. Rufus had sold her husband, Nigel, down the river.
c. Rufus made her believe he had sold her children.
14. Dana’s first reaction to Alice’s death is
a. to blame Tom Weylin.
b. to blame the system of slavery.
c. to blame Rufus who hid her children from her.
15. The only way Dana can return to her own time, safe from Rufus
a. for him to admit is love is obsessive and let her go.
b. for him to formally free her from slavery.
c. to kill him.
All Content Copyright©TheBestNotes. All Rights Reserved.
No further distribution without written consent.
65 Users Online | This page has been viewed 7190 times
This page was last updated on 5/9/2017 8:50:36 AM
Cite this page:
Clapsaddle, Diane. "TheBestNotes on Kindred".
. 09 May 2017