Free Study Guide - Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott|
FREE PLOT SUMMARY / LESSON PLANS - IVANHOE BY SIR WALTER SCOTT
A good example of Scott’s constantly changing focus occurs in the castle,
where the Saxons are held prisoners. Chapter 21 centers on Cedric and
ends with his total despair; Chapter 22 shows Isaac about to be tortured;
Chapter 23 shows Rowena being wooed by De Bracy; and Chapter 24 shows
Rebecca fighting off the advance of Bois-Guilbert. All four chapters,
however, end with the same event; the exact same bugle call is heard by
all, saving some and causing some to perish. Through his varied narrative
techniques, Scott shows that he is a masterful storyteller who can hold
the reader spellbound with an exciting and unified plot and an interesting
cast of characters who intertwine with one another.
1. Describe in your own words the historical and social setting of Ivanhoe.
2. Are Scott’s characters realistic? Give reasons for your answer.
3. Compare and contrast Ivanhoe with Bois-Guilbert.
4. How does Cedric change during the course of the novel?
5. Comment on the plot of Ivanhoe and show how Scott ties up all the
loose ends of the conflicts.
6. What is the function of Wamba and Gurth in the novel?
7. Compare and contrast Rowena and Rebecca. Which of these two characters
do you prefer, and why?
8. What information does Scott provide regarding the clergy of the Middle
Ages? Give examples.
9. Who is the real villain of Ivanhoe? Answer in detail.
10. What picture of chivalry do you get from Ivanhoe?
11. Choosing two scenes from the novel, analyze them to show the dramatic
progress of the novel.
Copyright ©2003 TheBestNotes.com. All Rights Reserved.
Distribution without the written consent of TheBestNotes.com is strictly prohibited.
All Content Copyright©TheBestNotes. All Rights Reserved.
No further distribution without written consent.
60 Users Online | This page has been viewed 14361 times
This page was last updated on 5/9/2017 9:50:34 AM
Cite this page:
TheBestNotes.com Staff. "TheBestNotes on Ivanhoe".
. 09 May 2017