Free Study Guide for The Giver by Lois Lowry|
1. Write your own ending for The Giver. What happens right after the given ending? Explain either why yours is the most logical ending, or why you prefer the ending you present.
2. What parts of the community would fit in a true utopia? What parts would only be found in a dystopia?
3. Do you think that twelve is the right age for the community members to be assigned their life-long job? Explain why you believe as you do.
4. Does The Giverís (referring here to the book as a whole, rather than to the character.) attitude toward euthanasia promote it or discourage it? Explain your answer.
5. Assume for a moment that the community did receive the memories that left Jonas and that they now know music, as suggested in the last paragraph. In your opinion, is the community happier than they were?
6. Most rules in the community are seldom broken. But, there is one rule that is frequently broken, the rule against teaching children to ride a bicycle before their Ceremony of Nine. In your opinion, why do people break this rule more easily than the other rules?
7. What do you think of the way the community takes care of the Old? In your opinion, is it good, bad, or partly good and partly bad?
8. If you were observed by the Elders, what Assignment(s) would they likely think fit you? What would bring them to this conclusion?
9. What do you think about the absence of automobiles? Could you live well without having one for your family?
10. Consider what possible reasons may have been given for getting rid of wild animals in the past. Then, give reasons why these reasons are not valid.
11. The community never again mentions a failure such as the loss of
the earlier Receiver. What would be a better way to handle a failure?
All Content Copyright©TheBestNotes. All Rights Reserved.
No further distribution without written consent.
15723 Users Online | This page has been viewed 5877 times
This page was last updated on 5/9/2017 9:50:24 AM
Cite this page:
Johnson, Jane. "TheBestNotes on The Giver".
. 09 May 2017