Free Study Guide for The Fixer by Bernard Malamud|
STUDY GUIDE FOR THE FIXER BY BERNARD MALAMUD
1. How is The Fixer similar to The Assistant?
How is it different?
2. How are things today different than they were in early Twentieth Century
Russia? How are they similar?
3. Write an ending of the story that covers the trial.
4. Write an ending of the story that continues Yakov and Raisl’s relationship.
5. With the benefit of hindsight, tell the Tsar what he should have done differently
to have a better outcome for himself.
6. Write a response that the Tsar might give to the above guidance.
7. Write an editorial for a newspaper to print on the day that Yakov’s trial
was to begin.
8. If Yakov had confessed to the crime of which he was accused, what would
have been the result for Yakov? For Russia?
9. Write Zhenia’s secret diary. Give his version of events.
10. Write Vasya Shiskovsky’s diary. In it have him tell what he knows of the
murder as well as the tale of how his family left the area where they
had been living.
A small Jewish village in Eastern Europe.
An uprising of physical attacks and persecution against the Jewish people in a region or city.
Refers to: A member of a Jewish mystic movement founded in the 18th century in eastern Europe by Baal Shem Tov that reacted against Talmudic learning and maintained that God's presence was in all of one's surroundings and that one should serve God in one's every deed and word.
The ruling family of Pre-Revolutionary Russia.
Approximately equal to a kilometer, or approximately equal to two-thirds of a mile. It is a Russian measure of distance.
Copyright ©2006 TheBestNotes.com.
TheBestNotes.com. All Rights Reserved.
Distribution without the written consent of TheBestNotes.com is strictly prohibited.
All Content Copyright©TheBestNotes. All Rights Reserved.
No further distribution without written consent.
59 Users Online | This page has been viewed 2402 times
This page was last updated on 5/9/2017 8:50:20 AM
Cite this page:
Johnson, Jane. "TheBestNotes on The Fixer".
. 09 May 2017