1. One of the main stories in the book was how Toni Little was feeling discriminated against. Do you think her claims are justifiable? Why or why not?
2. Racial tensions are still prevalent during the modern times. What is your take on issues such as this one, particularly in school?
3. If you were the in charge of Crenshaw High School, how are you going to reach out to the students in order to help motivate them to aim for a brighter future?
4. Cite an instance when you personally witnessed a type of discrimination. How did the experience affect you and your views?
5. Put yourself in the shoes of one of the students in Toni Little’s AP English class and write a short essay about your aims for the future.
1. Principal of Crenshaw High School
2. The school’s college counselor
3. The boy who died in the beginning of the book
4. The family that applied for a foster certification so Olivia could live with them
5. Olivia’s car
6. The first book that Little’s AP English class read for the school year
7. Author of the book from #6
8. Miesha’s brother
9. “truthful and honest”
10. Claudia’s IQ
11. Toya’s son
12. The job that Olivia did at night
13. Where Claudia’s mother originated
14. Who did the girl that Little’s ex wanted to cheat on her with looked like?
15. The president whose speech inspired Little to become a teacher
1 – Yvonne Noble ; 2 – Cassandra Roy ; 3 – John Doe #27 ; 4 – The Herron Family ; 5 – 1977 Volkswagen bug ; 6 – The Crucible ; 7 – Arthur Miller ; 8 – Raymond ; 9 – Sadikifu ; 10 – Above 150 ; 11 – Kaelen ; 12 – taxi dancer ; 13 - Guatemala ; 14 – Marilyn Monroe ; 15 – John F. Kennedy